Young Modern Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

talk about silverchair, love, and whatever else their beautiful little hearts desire without fear of moderators or mystigators!

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What Hooked You on SC?

Go down 
+3
Rein2.0
ArtReborn
low
7 posters
AuthorMessage
low

low

What Hooked You on SC? Empty
PostSubject: What Hooked You on SC?   What Hooked You on SC? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 7:48 pm

picgirl's comment in another thread got me thinkin.

what was it that actually hooked you hard on the chair?

was it 'tomorrow' or was it 'straight lines'?

were you ever a moderate fan, or always a diehard?

was it daniel's looks? did the words grab you in?

for me, i had owned frogstomp for a few weeks and i think i typed in silverchair on limewire and ana's song came up. that opening verse hooked me. there was no going back after that. i don't care how many times i hear that song, it still is one of the most passionate from the heart vocal tracks ever.
Back to top Go down
ArtReborn

ArtReborn

PostSubject: Re: What Hooked You on SC?   What Hooked You on SC? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 8:06 pm

What hooked me? Hmm... I had bought Frogstomp after I had heard Israel's Son (back when they let you listen to albums in record stores) and I really liked it, but I wasn't "hooked" on Silverchair per say. I was interested and hoping they get even better, which of course they did by Freakshow. But even awesome songs like The Door, Abuse Me, Petrol & Chlorine... etc... they weren't enough to "hook me." I honestly didn't become a rabid fan til I heard Emotion Sickness. I took one listen to that and thought "Holy hell! Daniel Johns is a fucking genius! He's like if Beethoven had an electric guitar!"
At that point, I knew he was a real artist and he was most likely not going to stop being so. By Diorama, there was absolutely no going back for me as a fan. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Rein2.0

Rein2.0

PostSubject: Re: What Hooked You on SC?   What Hooked You on SC? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2009 12:54 am

low wrote:
picgirl's comment in another thread got me thinkin.

what was it that actually hooked you hard on the chair?

was it 'tomorrow' or was it 'straight lines'?

were you ever a moderate fan, or always a diehard?

was it daniel's looks? did the words grab you in?

for me, i had owned frogstomp for a few weeks and i think i typed in silverchair on limewire and ana's song came up. that opening verse hooked me. there was no going back after that. i don't care how many times i hear that song, it still is one of the most passionate from the heart vocal tracks ever.
Ive heard silverchair, but I never really listened properly until, one sunday night on rove Daniel Johns and his boys performed Straight Lines ONE HOUR! after they just finished a Young Modern Launch concert. That was the song that got me into them, two months later I performed Straight Lines on piano for a Concert (i learnt by ear) and yeah.
Back to top Go down
picturegirl

picturegirl

PostSubject: Re: What Hooked You on SC?   What Hooked You on SC? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2009 6:30 am

saw them on telly in 95 and fell in love with them. went to a show with my dad in cologne march 96 and me being a fangirl got worse from that moment on. Razz Razz
Back to top Go down
Rein2.0

Rein2.0

PostSubject: Re: What Hooked You on SC?   What Hooked You on SC? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2009 7:09 am

Hmm, ive been guessing for a while but, how old are you pic?
Back to top Go down
picturegirl

picturegirl

PostSubject: Re: What Hooked You on SC?   What Hooked You on SC? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2009 7:38 am

Rein2.0 wrote:
Hmm, ive been guessing for a while but, how old are you pic?

29, gonna finish uni in january. Very Happy i grew up with the band. Razz bounce Razz
Back to top Go down
Rein2.0

Rein2.0

PostSubject: Re: What Hooked You on SC?   What Hooked You on SC? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 1:38 am

I grew up with the band, you grew up with the band memBERS! lol!
Back to top Go down
loaluvsyourlife

loaluvsyourlife

PostSubject: Re: What Hooked You on SC?   What Hooked You on SC? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 4:20 am

ArtReborn wrote:
What hooked me? Hmm... I had bought Frogstomp after I had heard Israel's Son (back when they let you listen to albums in record stores) and I really liked it, but I wasn't "hooked" on Silverchair per say. I was interested and hoping they get even better, which of course they did by Freakshow. But even awesome songs like The Door, Abuse Me, Petrol & Chlorine... etc... they weren't enough to "hook me." I honestly didn't become a rabid fan til I heard Emotion Sickness. I took one listen to that and thought "Holy hell! Daniel Johns is a fucking genius! He's like if Beethoven had an electric guitar!"
At that point, I knew he was a real artist and he was most likely not going to stop being so. By Diorama, there was absolutely no going back for me as a fan. Very Happy

Same here.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/loa.shelley?ref=profile
picturegirl

picturegirl

PostSubject: Re: What Hooked You on SC?   What Hooked You on SC? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 5:25 am

Rein2.0 wrote:
I grew up with the band, you grew up with the band memBERS! lol!

... and the members!! Razz Razz
Back to top Go down
mert

mert

PostSubject: Re: What Hooked You on SC?   What Hooked You on SC? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 6:23 pm

Israel's Son was on the radio I LOVED it. I was in grade 7 or 8, and we ran the school bus in those years, so the driver always played the rock station. A boy in my class was the one who told me Israel's Son was Silverchair. So I bought the CD, found out that they played Tomorrow too, and Pure Massacre, and Suicidal Dream... Smile Then I was a super fan. I remember they came on the radio when I was in the car with my mom, I tried to trick her into guessing that Daniel was a lot older, since he sang so deeply on Frogstomp. I failed. Laughing My mom was very good at guessing ages. Laughing

So.... It was how heavy Israel's Son was that hooked me. I was never really moderate. Looks only came into the picture after I was hooked. Laughing
Back to top Go down
low

low

PostSubject: Re: What Hooked You on SC?   What Hooked You on SC? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 2:33 am

mert wrote:
Israel's Son was on the radio I LOVED it. I was in grade 7 or 8, and we ran the school bus in those years, so the driver always played the rock station. A boy in my class was the one who told me Israel's Son was Silverchair. So I bought the CD, found out that they played Tomorrow too, and Pure Massacre, and Suicidal Dream... Smile Then I was a super fan. I remember they came on the radio when I was in the car with my mom, I tried to trick her into guessing that Daniel was a lot older, since he sang so deeply on Frogstomp. I failed. Laughing My mom was very good at guessing ages. Laughing

So.... It was how heavy Israel's Son was that hooked me. I was never really moderate. Looks only came into the picture after I was hooked. Laughing

i grew up listening to rock radio and i cannot once recall ever hearing israel's son on it to this day.
Back to top Go down
Sarah

Sarah

PostSubject: Re: What Hooked You on SC?   What Hooked You on SC? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 3:09 am

Strange Behaviour. nuff said.
Back to top Go down
Rein2.0

Rein2.0

PostSubject: Re: What Hooked You on SC?   What Hooked You on SC? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 5:39 am

English Garden finishes your sentence Sarah.
Back to top Go down
mert

mert

PostSubject: Re: What Hooked You on SC?   What Hooked You on SC? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 4:25 pm

low wrote:
i grew up listening to rock radio and i cannot once recall ever hearing israel's son on it to this day.

Weird, this was a huge syndicated American station too! Z Rock, based out of Dallas, but the local station was from Watertown, NY. It went off the air the day after Boxing Day in 1996, though. Sad It was a horribly traumatic day for all the young rockers around me - we didn't have another rock station until 2000, I think. But they certainly played all the singles off Frogstomp.
Back to top Go down
ArtReborn

ArtReborn

PostSubject: Re: What Hooked You on SC?   What Hooked You on SC? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 11:51 pm

They never once played Silverchair on south Florida's radio stations, rock or otherwise. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
low

low

PostSubject: Re: What Hooked You on SC?   What Hooked You on SC? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2009 2:19 pm

ArtReborn wrote:
They never once played Silverchair on south Florida's radio stations, rock or otherwise. Evil or Very Mad

you'll hear tomorrow every so often, and you could find 'straight lines' when it came out... but nothing else.
Back to top Go down
ArtReborn

ArtReborn

PostSubject: Re: What Hooked You on SC?   What Hooked You on SC? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2009 9:08 pm

I NEVER hear Tomorrow on our "classic rock" stations. They play Pearl Jam, Nirvana, frickin Soundgarden... but never Silverchair.
And when Straight Lines came out, you'd have never known it on S Florida's radio. Evil or Very Mad
That's why when they came here last tour, they actually had to open for Jimmy Eats Shit. Razz Suspect
Back to top Go down
mert

mert

PostSubject: Re: What Hooked You on SC?   What Hooked You on SC? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 6:47 pm

Straight Lines was on here when it was first out... Was on the charts too as one of the top seven most requested songs of the day. Tomorrow gets played on both the rock station and the alternative station, and then the alt station plays other singles, most recently Abuse Me. They play the Chair on the alt station a couple times a day, generally. And we're a small city, too, so it's rather good, I think. Smile
Back to top Go down
ArtReborn

ArtReborn

PostSubject: Re: What Hooked You on SC?   What Hooked You on SC? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 4:51 am

Well Canada is way cooler than the states in general, but Florida is just the worst when it comes to music... or most things artistic.

So stop rubbing it in, Mert!!! Razz Wink
Back to top Go down
mert

mert

PostSubject: Re: What Hooked You on SC?   What Hooked You on SC? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 6:05 pm

Razz I'm allowed to be proud! Laughing No, I'm only proud because for 3 years of high school we had literally NO rock station available to us in this area. There was a classic rock station we could get sometimes, but it was REALLY classic - as in The Clash was too rique. Mad It was tough. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What Hooked You on SC?   What Hooked You on SC? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What Hooked You on SC?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Young Modern Station :: Melodies :: Silverchair Related-
Jump to: